30.8.14

Getting Personal: Overcoming Your Flaws


Hey everyone! Sorry for the delay in this week's post. I've been quite busy with uni lately, catching up on lectures and assignments. Also, my skin has not been at it's best state recently and is going crazy at the moment! So I was quite self-conscious in doing a new post since I don't want many people out there to see the state of my face right now. I'm making it sound as if my face is horrible, but it really isn't that bad to be honest. Only a few spots here and there, but it's funny how even just these small flaws can bring my self-esteem down quite a bit. And so, this gave me an idea for the topic of this week's post...overcoming flaws.

I think that there are many girls out there who have been beaten down by their flaws, and I am definitely one of those girls. Honestly, I have got to be one of the most self-critical person out there. Not just by the way I look, but from the way I act as well. When people think of flaws, I'm sure that many people would think of physical appearances first. But the thing is, your flaws can be more than just the way you look. You can have flaws in your personality...wait let me fix that up, you do have flaws in your personality, everyone does, because like good ol' Miley Cyrus once said (back when she was Hannah Montana, remember that?), 'Nobody's Perfect'. So anyway, I'm going to be doing something a bit different today by issuing my physical flaws and how I overcome those, then going onto my personality flaws. And after this, I'm going to get really depressed after realising how imperfect I am and go cry in a corner...not really...maybe...I hope. Anyway!

PHYSICAL FLAWS

Okay, so I feel that the first step to overcoming your flaws is to identify them. It's just like solving any sort of problem, in order to resolve it, you must firstly find the root of the problem. Alright, so here's a list of what I believe are my physical flaws:

- Well, right now, it's definitely the spots on my face
- I'm short
- I have huge thighs
- I've got thin hair 
- My pores are enormous
- My face is chubby

Alright, so I'm just going to stop there then. Now that you have identified your flaws, instead of getting all depressed over it, find a way to 'fix' them, or better yet, embrace them! 

We'll start off with my first flaw that I've listed, my spotty face. Yes, right now, I look hideous with all these blemishes. And quite frankly, I avoid trying to look in the mirror. But you know what, there's always make up here to help me out! And another thing, they're not going to be there forever, the longest they'll last is probably only for a week or so. 

Now moving onto my height. Yes, I am your typical short Asian girl. But the thing is, who cares? I mean, it doesn't make me any less of a person. And, I always have a pair of heels that can help me out. 

And then there's my thighs. Sure, they may be a little big, but here's a great motivation for me to hit the gym. 

Anyway, I'm just going to stop there because I think you get the point. The thing is, yeah sure, you may be a little down because of these 'flaws', but there really is no point in you feeling this way, I mean it's not like they're going to magically disappear if you do. You wanna feel good about yourself? Then get your ass up and make an effort to fix them. If whatever you did doesn't help, well then at least you feel a little better about yourself that you actually tried. But just remember that your flaws don't make up who you are. Maybe you're a little short, but that doesn't necessarily mean you're any less of a person. You may be the world's tiniest person out there, but one of the loudest and craziest as well. The thing is, people really don't notice all of these flaws as much as you do, you are your own biggest critic. Let's put it this way if it helps, your flaws are what makes you unique to everyone else. So next time you see something you don't like in the mirror, don't look at it as a flaw, try look at as an asset instead. Lastly, your appearance does not determine who you are, it's your personality. This leads to the second part of the post...




PERSONALITY FLAWS

Now, I'm going to be honest here, these are the flaws that I feel people notice the most and quite frankly, the ones that you yourself notice the least. That may not necessarily be a good thing though, because it's these that people would usually tend to get frustrated with, well at least I know I do. Moving on, just like what I did with my physical flaws, I'm just going to list all the flaws in my personality.

- I can be really stubborn
- I'm a bit naive at times
- I can be a drama queen at times
- I can be really shy and anti-social in certain situations
- When I'm angry, I always keep it in, which isn't really good because I end up building it all in, and when I let it all out, I look like the biggest asshole ever (excuse the language)
- I hold grudges, not always, but a bit too much than I should

Alright so I'm just going to stop there before people start getting a bad impression of me here. Unlike my physical flaws, I'm not going to list all the ways of how I can fix these personality flaws. Because frankly, I don't know how to fix them, not yet at least. But you know, I'm working on them. These sort of flaws take time, they're not something that'll go away in a day. The way I see it, these personality flaws are usually developed through experiences or from observational learning. Therefore, it's a lot harder to get rid of them because they're more permanent than physical flaws, if that makes sense. However, just like your physical flaws, these flaws are only just a fraction of who you are as a whole. I feel that it really is only necessary to change these flaws if it bothers not just one particular person, but many people out there. But more importantly, if these flaws bother you the most, then that is a great sign there that you really need to work on that particular flaw. But again, don't beat yourself up about it. I find that one of the most beneficial ways to improve on these flaws is to try and compromise with them. If someone is annoyed at you with something, try to work around it, but at the same time, that person should try and understand your point of view and the reason as to why you act in that particular way as well. Just remember, you don't have to be perfect, nobody asked you to, and nobody should. 

So just to sum things up, we all have flaws that we could fix, but we don't have to see them as a negative thing. Flaws, in particular physical ones, don't define who you are. We shouldn't be known for how tall we are, or the way our skin looks. So next time when someone starts judging you because of the way you look or certain ways you act, don't waste your time trying to change because of that one particular person, because they most likely have just as much flaws as you do. I'm no expert or whatever, because I'm still trying to work on my insecurities, but I really hope that what I'm saying sort of helps you all out there who are facing some low self-esteem issues.

Stay tuned to see more updates on my blog!

xx Trulyvonne




No comments:

Post a Comment